Cream of Broccoli and Cashew Soup Recipe
This delicious hearty bowl of soup that is perfect for this time of year. This soup will warm you up on a cold day and strengthen your immune system. And, versatile too. You can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 2 stalks celery, or one fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz broccoli
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock, divided
- 1/2 t red pepper
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water (hot water speeds the process). Soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Add oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and sautee for about three minutes.
- Add celery and carrots and sautee for another five minutes.
- Add garlic and broccoli and sautee for another five minutes.
- Add 5 cups water or vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water or vegetable stock in a blender or Vitamix. Blend until very smooth and creamy. There should be no clumps. Set the cashew cream aside.
- Puree soup using a large blender or immersion blender. You'll likely have to do this in batches.
- Once soup is pureed, stir in cashew cream. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired.