Cream of Mushroom Soup (Vegan) Recipe
This will be your favorite cream of mushroom soup!
What's more comforting in the fall than a hot bowl of creamy soup? You can add more veggies and it will be a satisfying meal in itself. Also, you can make this cream of mushroom soup as thick as your heart desires.
FOR THE VEGETABLE MIXTURE
- 1 Tbl Oil (any cooking oil will do)
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk of Celery, chopped
(You could also chop one large carrot and throw it in for flavor)
FOR THE MUSHROOMS
- TWO 8 oz. packages of Baby Bella Mushrooms (or a mixture of flavorful mushrooms), cleaned, stems removed and quartered
- 1 Jar fancy Whole Button Mushrooms, reserving a few for presentation
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Dried Sage, or to taste
TO THICKEN THE SAUCE
- 1 Tbl All Purpose Flour
FOR THE BROTH
- 2-1/4 C Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 C vegan Sour Cream
- 1 Tbl Cornstarch
- 1/4 C SO Delicious Dairy Free Almond (or Coconut) Milk Creamer (NOTE: if you can't find these, use canned coconut milk)
- In a large stock pot, add 1 Tbl of oil, the chopped onions and celery. Saute until they begin to soften.
- Add the cleaned Baby Bella Mushrooms. (We'll add the fancy ones later).
- Saute for 5-10 minutes until they begin to soften and brown. Don't go too far with this, we want them to retain their shape and have some texture.
- Season with salt, pepper and sage.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sauteed vegetables and stir until combined. Cook for 1-2 minutes to remove that raw flour taste.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and almond creamer (or canned coconut milk). Mix thoroughly.
- Add to the soup SLOWLY. It will thicken quickly. I drizzle it in, stir and wait a few minutes until it gets to its full thickening power. You can always add more, but you may not need or want it all.
- Stir in the fancy Whole Button Mushrooms allowing to heat through for a few minutes, reserving a few for serving.
- Garnish with chives.
Reserved fancy Whole Button Mushrooms
Barley, Farro or Wild Rice - cook to package instructions and add in at the broth stage of this recipe.