Gluten-Free Zucchini Pasta Primavera Recipe
Pasta primavera is Italian for springtime pasta, with a focus on bountiful spring veggies. Rather than being light, most versions of pasta primavera include a rich cream and Parmesan sauce over pasta — no one's definition of healthful! Replace the pasta with zucchini "noodles" and create a "cream" sauce made of cashew butter to transform this dish into a slimmer version of its former self.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup half-moon onion slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced red bell peppers
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into long strands with a peeler or mandolin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and cook until bright green, tender-crisp and slightly undercooked (2 minutes).
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft (3 to 5 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms, carrots and peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are fork tender (10 to 12 minutes). Combine with the broccoli.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; immediately reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cashew butter until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice and the mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss with the vegetables.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally (1 to 2 minutes).
- Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Serve the zucchini "pasta" topped with the vegetables.