Three Bean Pumpkin Chili
Three Bean Pumpkin Chili is the perfect comfort food for the autumn/winter seasons!
It's warm, satisfying, and healthy! Three Bean Pumpkin Chili is a delicious, comforting vegan chili perfect for the cooler seasons that goes well as a side dish or main course. It's also a great potluck item!
- 2 tablespoons peanut, canola, or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 3/4 cups homemade pumpkin puree OR one (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 2-3 teaspoons minced chipotles in adobo, to taste
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (fire-roasted are nice)
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick
- Diced avocado for serving
- Thinly sliced scallions for serving
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, for 6-8 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and paprika, and cook, stirring frequently, for another 30 seconds to a minute, or until the mixture is fragrant. Add pumpkin puree, chipotle, and tomato paste, and stir to combine. Add crushed tomatoes, beans, water, and a couple pinches of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to keep the liquid at a bare simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 hours, until the chili has thickened and tastes the way you want it. If simmering longer than 1 hour, keep an eye on the pot and add the occasional splash of water if it's getting too thick. Remove the chili from the heat; remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Season with salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with avocado and scallions. Serve hot. Like most chilis, this will only get better with time. It will keep, tightly covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.