Baked Cocoa-Almond Quinoa
These bar are short but sweet.. and packed with nutrients and essential fatty acids to start your morning right!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened hempmilk or almondmilk
- 1 cup pitted dates (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup almond meal, divided
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a blender, puree hempmilk, dates, seeds, applesauce, cocoa and salt. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in quinoa and 1/2 cup almond meal. Transfer to prepared pan, scatter remaining 1/4 cup almond meal over the top and bake until firmly set, about 1 hour.
- Set aside to let cool for 1 hour, and then carefully run a paring knife around the pan to loosen the edges. Turn out onto a flat surface, remove parchment paper, cut into squares and serve.
- To freeze, wrap individual squares tightly and store in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator or microwave.
optional: cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla
Categories: DessertPrint Recipe