Chili Pie with Cornbread Topping Recipe
Indulge in chili pie without going overboard on calories, salt, or sugar with this vegetarian version that's loaded with beans and vegetables. Swap salt for spices like cumin and chili powder to boost flavor and substitute white sugar for a healthy alternative like Medjool dates. Recipes turn out with the best flavor and the healthiest for us when organic and non-GMO ingredients are used.
- 2 cup low-sodium or no-salt-added organic vegetable broth
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 4 cloves organic garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste, in BPA-free packaging
- 1 1/2 cups organic diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 cup frozen organic chopped broccoli, thawed
- 4 cup cooked organic red kidney beans or 3 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium or no-salt-added kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 organic Medjool or 10 regular dates, pitted
- 1 cup unsweetened organic hemp or almond milk
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup frozen organic corn kernels, thawed
To make the chili
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons water or low-sodium vegetable broth in a large pot and saute onions and garlic until softened. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, vegetable broth, broccoli, and beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes until chili has thickened.
To make the cornbread
- Combine cornmeal, oat flour, and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- In a high-powered blender, combine dates, nondairy milk, and ground flaxseeds.
- Combine with the dry ingredients, stirring just until well combined. Mixture will be thick.
- To assemble the pie, preheat oven to 350�F. Lightly oil a 13 x 9 - inch baking dish. Transfer the chili to the baking dish. Sprinkle corn kernels on top. Drop cornbread batter, by the spoonful, on top of the chili until the batter forms an even layer on top, using a fork to lightly spread the batter. It is okay if it is not a perfect layer; sections of the chili may still be visible.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
By Joel Fuhrman