Chocolate Ginger Chia Pudding
Here's a fun treat and a great way to get the nutritious chia seed into your diet! As your nut milk simmers on the stove, it is flavored with cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric, and then sweetened with a couple Medjool dates. These elements infuse the pudding with a rich taste, while chia seeds are stirred in for a little bit of texture. Prepare this dessert ahead of time, as two hours of refrigeration is required before the mixture can be pureed, then poured into serving cups and returned to the fridge to set up. Serve with a sprinkle of chia and your favorite colorful fruit. This recipe is wonderful as an everyday dessert, but by giving it a pretty presentation it can also be perfect for a dinner party as an elegant way to end your meal.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup Homemade Nut Milk or other store-bought plant-based milk
- 2 to 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash turmeric
- Bring plant-based milk to a low simmer.
- Add unsweetened cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon stick, turmeric and dates into milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Continue to stir until ginger and turmeric are dissolved thoroughly.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add chia seeds. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth.
- At this time, adjust sweetness by adding another 1/2 to 1 date.
- Transfer into small glasses and place back in the fridge to set up.
- Serve with preferred toppings e.g. sliced strawberries or bananas.