Coconut-Buttermilk Grilled Chicken
Tender, infused with the creamy richness of buttermilk, and grilled to a perfect golden brown, this chicken is irresistible for any season and makes a wonderful summer barbecue! You can cook it up with any cut of chicken you desire. Even better yet, it's completely dairy-free, so even the lactose or casein intolerant can enjoy it without a hitch. The secret to the buttermilk flavor without the dairy is simply understanding what buttermilk is. Despite the name, it's not milk mixed with butter. Instead, buttermilk is simply milk with a slightly acidic overtone.
Prep Time: 4 Hours
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 2 lbs organic chicken
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 lime (juiced)
- fresh cilantro
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 2 cups coconut milk, fresh or boxed - to obtain fresh coconut milk, hollow out the "meat" of the coconut, combine it with the coconut water in a blender. Fresh coconut milk yields higher nutrients).
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the coconut milk and lemon juice (mix well and let sit for about 5 minutes).
- Add the chili powder, coriander, cumin, turmeric, garlic, and lime juice to the coconut buttermilk mixture. Season to taste and mix well.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours.
- Preheat a grill to a medium-heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill until cooked through and golden on both sides (about 15 to 20 minutes total).
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro to serve.
Recipes provide optimal flavor and nutrition when organic ingredients are used.Print Recipe