Curried Asparagus Soup
This light summer soup is great for dinner served with a big salad! Cashews add a little protein and creaminess without using dairy and lemon juice squeezed into the soup just before serving gives it a bright, fresh flavor.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2/3 cup raw cashew pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, diced and washed well
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet curry powder
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Before you begin the rest of the prep work, place the cashews in a small bowl and cover them with very hot water. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the diced leek and cook until it has softened, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder
and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the asparagus and broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer uncovered until the asparagus has softened, about 15 minutes.
Allow soup to cool slightly.
- Rinse the cashews and put them in a high speed blender with a ladle or two of the soup. Blend until completely smooth. Add the remaining soup to the blender (you may have to do this in batches) and puree until smooth and creamy; return to the Dutch oven and heat on medium until warmed through, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Note: if you have time, you can soak the cashews in cool water for 3-5 hours.
Categories: Home Page Featured Recipe, SoupPrint Recipe