Spicy Peanut Tofu Stir Fry
It's savory, satisfying and loaded with flavor. It's completely vegan and vegetarian friendly, as well as gluten free. Crispy tofu tossed in a homemade thai-style peanut sauce pan fried with shiitake mushrooms and onions. It tastes great on a bed of rice or quinoa!
- 1 - 14 ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil (vegetable, canola, coconut)
- 1 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms (button or baby bellas work too)
- 1 cup white onions, large dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon EACH: minced garlic AND grated ginger (ginger paste is fine too)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (use GF tamari to make this gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
grilled bok choy, crushed peanuts, red pepper flakes, and lime wedges
- TOFU: Place a folded tea towel in the shape of the tofu on a plate. Place tofu in the prepared plate. Place another tea towel on top (in the shape of the tofu) followed by another plate and 2-28 ounce cans or anything that weight 2-3 pounds to help remove the water from the tofu. Or you can simply use the tofu press and tighten the wheels to help squeeze out the water over a plate. Let the tofu dry for at least 15-20 minutes and ideally, I like to let it go for an hour. Once dry, cut the tofu up into 1-inch cubes. Place the cornstarch, salt, and if desired, a pinch of chili powder into a zip top bag. Add the tofu, zip the bag and give it a toss so the tofu is coated with the cornstarch.
- SAUCE: While the tofu is drying, prepare the sauce. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or in a medium mason jar (with a lid). I prepared it in a jar and gave it a few good shakes until the ingredients mixed through. Set aside.
- STIR FRY: In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat pan. Add the cubed tofu to the pan and let fry for 3 minutes. Flipping the tofu as needed to ensure even browning on all sides. Add 3 tablespoons of the prepared sauce to the tofu and allow to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. When the tofu is caramelized, remove to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoons of oil to the pan, turn the stove to high heat and add the shiitake mushrooms and onions to the pan. Cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes or to desired doneness. Add the tofu back into the skillet, turn the stove off. Drizzle in the peanut sauce and toss to coat. Remove stir fry to a serving dish.
- SERVE: Serve warm with rice, quinoa, or on it's own. Top with crushed peanuts, red pepper flakes and lime wedges. Serve with grilled bok choy is desired. The tofu will lose a bit of the crispness as it sits. But the flavors intensify and the stir fry tastes even better the next day!
* Be sure to use gluten-free tamarin if you want to make this recipe gluten-free.
Adapted from Little Spice JarPrint Recipe