Stuffed Acorn Squash
Cranberry cauliflower rice stuffed acorn squash
Prep Time: 50 Minutes
Cook Time: 38 Minutes
- 3 acorn squash medium
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- black pepper to taste
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion medium, finely chopped
- 2 shallots medium, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Prepare the Squash:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrap out seeds.
- Coat flesh of each acorn squash half with 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil and generously season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the acorn squash halves cut-side up on a baking sheet and roast until fork tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
Cranberry Cauliflower Rice Stuffing:
- Break apart cauliflower into large florets and place in a food processor. Process until the cauliflower is completely broken down into rice-sized granules. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, shallots, cauliflower rice and celery to the frying pan. Season with sea salt and black pepper, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the stuffing from heat and stir in cranberries.
- Divide the stuffing evenly among the roasted acorn squash halves (about 1/2 of a cup for each half) and serve warm.
This dish is also great with chopped pecans added into the stuffing if you are on the Paleo Protocol, Candida Protocol, Standard Protocol, or if you have successfully reintroduced pecans back into your diet.
By Taylor Morgan, RDN,LD
Categories: Main-DishPrint Recipe